QSO undertakes global search for new Maestro
Media Release ·
As the Queensland Symphony Orchestra (QSO) continues to reach important milestones in audience growth, orchestral review, artist acclaim and annual results, the company is preparing to farewell Maestro Johannes Fritzsch after seven years of musical leadership.
Maestro Fritzsch leaves the QSO at the end of 2014, with the Maestro concert on Saturday November 29 featuring Mahler’s Third Symphony set be a major, and particularly emotional, musical event.
“When I joined the QSO in June 2013, I discovered an orchestra of the highest calibre led by Johannes Fritzsch, an excellent Chief Conductor. His contribution cannot be overstated, he has embedded this orchestra with true musicality, the essence of musical greatness, and there is always a baton for him here,” said Ms Galaise.
Ms Galaise said a global search committee of national and international advisors had been formed under the Chairmanship of The Honourable Justice Martin Daubney, Supreme Court of Queensland. The committee comprises internal advisors as well as high profile external consultants including renowned trumpeter, James Morrison; QPAC Chief Executive, John Kotzas and London Symphony Orchestra CEO Tim Walker.
A shortlist of candidates has been identified.
“I can announce that key tasks have been undertaken already, and throughout the remainder of Season 2014, and through Season 2015, candidates will be welcomed and tested with the company,” she said.
“Every aspect of this process, including the identification of candidates, will remain highly confidential.”
The search for the new QSO Music Director is generously supported by Mr Timothy V Fairfax, AC. It is expected that the appointment of the Music Director will be announced at the end of 2015.
“We are in a new era for the QSO, one which will ultimately see this orchestra viewed on a global level and it is important to put in place the very best team we can; this means taking time to find our new Music Director,” Ms Galaise said.